The TECBAR BAME Network was founded on 28 November 2018 at a meeting of BAME practitioners at the Technology and Construction Bar. The BAME Network has no membership it is open to all TECBAR Members. It shall operate under the TECBAR Constitution and rules.
The work of the BAME Network shall be conducted by the TECBAR Equality and Diversity Sub-Committee with the engagement of TECBAR Members.
Participation in the TECBAR BAME Network’s activities and events is open to all members of the Bar, pupil barristers, judges, practice managers, students and prospective applicants to the Bar interested in engaging with the BAME Network’s Objectives
The TECBAR BAME Network has the following objectives:
1. To enhance BAME inclusion, participation and progression at the Technology and Construction Bar, judiciary and arbitral practice and in the wider Commercial Bar.
2. To provide support and mentoring for BAME members of TECBAR and all others who wish to participate in the Network.
3. To encourage and assist BAME people considering a career at the Technology and Construction Bar through engagement with existing schemes, schools, universities and student bodies.
4. To foster the business case for and harness the benefits of a culturally and lingually diverse and representative membership particularly in light of TECBAR’s international client reach.
5. To particularly work towards better inclusion, participation and progression of BAME women at the Technology and Construction Bar, judiciary and arbitral practice and in the wider Commercial Bar.
6. Enhancing social mobility, religious diversity, disability inclusion and LGBT+ equality at the Technology and Construction Bar, judiciary and arbitral practice and in the wider Commercial Bar in recognition of the particular impact these issues have on inclusion and progress of BAME individuals.
7. To work with other bodies including other Specialist Bar Associations in meeting the above objectives.
Abdul Jinadu (Keating Chambers), Krista Lee (Keating Chambers), Sian Mirchandani (4 New Square), Serena Cheng QC (Atkin Chambers), Omar Ensaff (No.5 Chambers), Karim Ghaly QC (39 Essex Chambers), Riaz Hussain QC (Atkin Chambers) Zulfikar Khayum (Atkin Chambers), Omar Eljadi (Atkin Chambers), Sanjay Patel (4 Pump Court), Samar Abbas (39 Essex Chambers), Lauren Adams (Atkin Chambers), David Hopkins (39 Essex Chambers), Mek Mesfin (Crown Office Chambers), Mathias Cheung (Atkin Chambers).
TECBAR BAME Committee Members
Riaz Hussain QC
1 Atkin Building
London WC1R 5AT
Tel: 0207 404 0102
Fax: 0207 405 7456
DX: 1033 LDE
4 New Square
Tel: 020 7822 2001
Fax: 020 7822 2000
DX: 1041 London